2011. Powered by Blogger.
RSS

By Request...

Real quick- I just realized I had only allowed comments from people with an I.D.... this is no longer the case. Now everyone can comment, if you wish, on my blog.

My dad requested I blog more about my day to day activities as well as other things... enjoy!

A typical day in Austria, or at least for me, is as follows...


I wake up usually around 8:00 a.m. sometimes later. I stumble down the stairs and take my seat at the kitchen table (in the mornings I prefer the bench and in the evenings for dinner I sit on the chair). There is a lovely yellow thermos of tea waiting for me along with a toaster set out with bread next to it i always have the option of either brown bread that is thick and has nuts and looks and tastes and is healthy or white, so I am forced to make the daily decision to eat well or poorly... I take the white. The amazing thermos of tea is poured and after 1 dainty teaspoon of sugar (x's 4) is disolved into my cup, I begin my morning ritual of staring blankly at things... I'm not picky... Chrissys hair is a fun thing to stare at in the morning, it's always well brushed and shiny and it's so long... Enzo the cat is another thing to stare at however this isn't usually my prefered target considering he has the nasty tendency to get nervous around me and attempts to harm me...


After I am finished with this and have attempted to read the paper or at least pick out the words I know in it, I look up and realize that ONCE AGAIN I am running about 10 minutes behind schedule. This happens every morning. The clock opposite and just down from the table is broken yet every morning I depend on it's time, I believe it is currently frozen at 1 a.m., until I realize that this can't possibly be correct and I ask for the time... such a cruel shock every morning.

I rapidly get ready and, generally forgetting several things, run out the door. Now this would sound like a normal routine to those who have about an hour to get ready in the mornings... I however have approximately 3 hours to get ready in the morning yet I always manage to waste it. I believe this time is lost somewhere during the staring routine. I could be wrong.


I run to the bus stop to catch the 4 at 11:32. Every ten minutes on two.

After several sorry I don't speak Germans and after I participate in and watch several body slams and gasps when the bus driver accelerated and decelerates quickly, and generally after some very bad smells, I get off the bus and arrive at Moenchesburgaufzug. My bus stop.

I run to school, get out my key chain with the stuffed dog on it (courtesy of my host dad), unlock the college door and take my place at the lunch table. I have now successfully eaten twice and literally done nothing in between those times.

From 12:30-2:30 I always have a free period. This time is spent in a very resonant practice room where I entertain not only myself but also those within a mile radius of the school.

At 2:30 I generally have European Union with Stefan Wally. I absolutely love this class. The professor makes everything so easy to understand and has a talent for making us laugh even when discussing the treaty of Maastricht. Do not attempt at home. So far I have had 1 midterm and 1 10 page paper due in this class and though it was stressful,l I have enjoyed studying and writing for this class because it is so different than classes I've taken at home.

My schedule from here is often ambiguous, so ambiguous in fact that generally i don't know where I'm supposed to be until I see the stampede of students coming down the stairs and one of them is kind enough to inform me of our plans.

European Union happens either at 2:30 (as written above) or 5:30. It can be an hour class, a two hour class, or, more frequently, a 3 hour class. It is generally 2-3 times a week. My lessons are generally every other morning (yeah, try learning an entire Bach movement every other day and perform it the next... nein danke) and take place from 10:00-11:00 or from 11:00-12:00.

So great news. I got the solo thing. Which is good and bad. Good because... I'm soloing in Salzburg in 2 concerts. Bad because i may or may not have friends after it.

Glad I have all of you!

E

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Sounds so delightful, though the sprinting to get ready doesn't sound very OC-ish, the 3 hours to get ready sure does!

Dawn Treader Quartet said...

The staring is by far my favorite part of my mornings. And it is OC-ish because I have breakfast and socialize for 21/2 hours every morning! Can't beat that!

mom said...

Re: 'by request' blog- Finally! That is why I have been commenting on the emails instead of the blog! (There is no place to comment after the 'by request' blog so I had to here- mostly seeing if it works.)

Martha said...

"I believe this time is lost somewhere during the staring routine. I could be wrong."

That's hilarious.

Congrats on the solo! That is SOOO awesome!

john & natalie said...

Thanks for making me laugh while I sit at my boring desk at my boring job in Kansas.

Post a Comment