2011. Powered by Blogger.
RSS

The Bee: Then and Now.

One of the funniest events yet in the cabin. Something not to be said lightly because believe me, between me pulling up my shorts to waist height and chasing after my cabin girls in only those and a sports bra with my hair in a perfect 80's beach-do and terrorizing the rest of them when Casey and I get in one of our moods (for those of you who don't know me... this kind of mood usually happens on Sundays for some strange reason, and involves helpless, crippling laughter and complete mayhem and absurdity), and just my undying energy here (I blame it on the abundance of oxygen), we've had our fair share of ridiculous events.

The story continues.

There was a bee that was double the size of a normal bee. In fact, there is a hive of them outside of the cabin. Good. We have a girl who is allergic to bee stings. Not so good. One of these bees decided to pay a visit to the ladies of Patton during our morning wake up and chores routine. One of the girls freaks out and like a well oiled machine the rest of us immediately arm ourselves with anything within reach. Tennis shoes, brooms and cleaning products in hand, we advanced in a semi circle around this bees perch. I blame it mostly on mob mentality that things like this happen, but just imagine for a second a gang of girls in varying states of daily readiness, some with towels on their heads or bodies some just waking up, all with crazy looks in their eyes and freaking out every time this bug even twitches. All armed and ready with the deadliest weapons we could find, one of the girls comes panting up to us excitedly holding a gigantic bucket. It sort of broke the tension seeing her so ecstatically brandishing a bucket as if it were going to help. I asked her what it was for and she just shrugged and lost some of her excitement and said "I guess I just like to trap things..." Then, our attention diverted, out of no where, one of the girls who had just woken up to find us all standing around ready to finish off this poor bug lets out a battle cry and darts at the thing with a shoe and obliterates it. Not just smashed it, completely beheaded and powdered the poor bee. She lets out a maniacal little laugh and wanders into one of the showers. Good start to a day.


I recently found the above story in my "to be posted" box and realized I hadn't yet posted it. Looking back and re reading this story I realize how much my view has changed in just a few short weeks. Then we armed ourselves with everything we could find and smashed the hell out of everything with more legs than we had. Now all has changed. Let me tell you with a story that happened just a couple days ago.

I came home to find a similar bee. Huge bee with hair all over and ridiculously loud buzzing. I stood looking at it for a while. Appreciating the size of it and almost enjoying the initial feeling of fear it had created in me. Megan is allergic to bees. I remembered that and slowly walked towards the can of foam cleanser that has become the best known bee killer around. I poised the nozzle over the bee and let fire. The sight almost made me cry. The big bee struggled for life as it was covered in the mass of white foam that I was unrelentingly dousing him in. I felt so badly-but it had to be done he was too big to trap and move without getting stung. Such a waste of such beauty.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment