2011. Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Elbows, Armpits and Anthems

So I made it!

Passed the TSA agent that insisted on poking my viola with a wand while I tried to put my belt back on after my latest airport strip tease,

passed the lady who checks boarding passes and yells at musicians to check their instruments because they take up too much of the overhead compartment space,

through the first flight and the first airport, and onto the plane that would take me to our first airport in Germany and landed....

Right next to a 16 year old girl with the highest pitched voice, biggest love for excersising said voice, and most uncontrolled elbows and knees I have ever heard/met/seen in my life.

On the airline we were flying, there were no TV's on the backs of every chair that I, as an entitled American, have grown used to on any flight longer than a few hours. In addition to this disappointing lack of digital stimulation, my headset that was supposed to connected me to the in-flight entertainment that WAS available (retro mickey mouse, German version of bob the builder, Disney's "prom" and an episode of Golden Girls) was giving me the sound of a tennis match that was not being televised. Needless to say, I spent my time trying to fall asleep and having 16-year-old Elbows McGee fighting me for every last inch of my space.
The sun set and rose at what would have been our early afternoon and then only about 4 hours later at 5 a.m. local time. I lost track of time, sense of hearing from the constant booming of the airplane's engine, feeling in my feet and... (Corie close your eyes) a red jacket that I realized halfway through the flight I had left it in the women's room in the Chicago airport. Luckily, this had the keys to my suitcase in the pocket as well (told you they'd be safe there, mom).

I survived the plane somehow, it's sequel from Frankfurt into Hamburg, and after being shepherded to the buses, driven through the beautiful northern German countryside with 60 other delirious and rather smelly individuals who were all packed into yet another moving tin box, arrived at the beautiful seeschloss hotel in Eutin, Germany.

The missing key proved not difficult thanks to my stealthy friend who proceeded to look at me, have a conversation, while pulling a bobby pin out of her hair and popping the lock without even blinking... good thing I have her on my side eh?

The first day passed quite uneventfully and after being greeted by the Eutiner Festspiele officials and people at the Opernscheune we were free to collapse in our beds.

Yesterday was a different story. We had a reahearsal from 10-7 with a lunch break in between and then we were to go to the town square for our independence day party thrown by the people of Eutin. The whole town square was used and there were food and drink vendors as well as a singer and some other entertainers. It was fun to just be able to enjoy the city and have everyone know who we were and why we were there and appreciate us for it. They had us line up by sections of the orchestra and sign the official festival guest book, it was cool knowing that I left my mark on the festival history. After a night of good food and jazz music, American rock 'n' roll music and soft love hits from various countries, we relaxed with our drinks and, to the sound of the band playing America the beautiful, we sung the anthem and watched a firework display shot right from the heart of the town square. It was a beautiful night and the fact that it was done to welcome us and make us feel at home made it even greater.

Hopefully that gets you caught up on where I am. I will start my usual anecdote posting soon as well as picture posting as soon as I can.

Off to rehearsal.

Love you all,

Doc and E

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Kylar said...

Yay! I love when you blog. I'm also very glad you made it safely!

Post a Comment